Thursday, March 19

ode to the CRV - written by jim



Last night we let my beloved CRV go. We traded her in for, of all things, a new mini-van.

Having been through the process of buying a new car a few times, there were few suprizes. After a few weeks of shopping we got the price and interest rate we wanted, signed the papers, dropped the down payment, and we were ready to roll out with a new pimpin minivan. My last item of business to be taken care of was to look through the CRV one more time to make sure we weren't leaving anything behind. As I peered through the nooks and cranies of that green machine for the last time I was suprized with how sad I felt. I felt silly for feeling so attached to a bunch of metal and plastic, but I couldn't help but reminice of all the good times I had in that car. The first thing I thought of were the trips to California. These trips were accompanied with great friends, drama, and good times. Some of the most notable California memories are the streeker on the bridge, Joe and Nancy drama, Hungington Beach, traffic from Vegas to LA, China Town, Robb and he knows what, and seemingly never being fully reimbursed for gas. All that said, we always had a great time.

I first learned to fix my brakes on the CRV with a little help from my bud Penfield. I removed the cassette player and installed a CD player that, no doubt, played more DMB music than any other CD player known to mankind. She was present for many first dates as well as many last dates. She was my only companion for several long, and tiresome trips between Orem and Houston.

When I packed my bags for college, I loaded them up in the CRV and drove 1600 miles without knowing where I would live.

Over the past 10 years she has taken good care of me and I have tried to do the same. I never got in a wreck with her, but she was involved in a hit and run while she was parked. However, with the assistance of a couple of good Samaritans, I was able to track him down and avenge her.
I got too many tickets and "DTRs" within her doors and she always seemed to play Rage just a little louder afterwards...Vogel understands.

There is no doubt she has been good to me and she was hard to let go. Over the past 10 years she has been the one constant thing in my life. Wherever I was, she was always close by. So as I raise this glass of Martinelle, as a tribute to her, I say, "this new mini-van is way nicer than I expected."

5 comments:

Jamie Dana said...

Wow, that was fast! I know you guys were thinking about a mini van but I didn't know you were going to get one so soon. I love it. Congratulations. Red is a great color choice. Can't wait to see it in person.

Joe said...

Those were some good times. And, I don't remember the drama part, just the fun CA sun. I am a little shocked to hear of an Italian in a mini-van, things like that just might take off your chest hair. If that happened, what Italian would you still have...maybe the gold necklace, but that's it?

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Bready said...

Tear....g'bye ol' chap.

Jenny said...

awww... there were definitely some fun memories in that car. :) so sad to see her go. i remember some of those fun memories on trips to cali. ah, who could forget the joe/nancy drama. (well, joe apparently) :)