Wednesday, September 16

Our newest member!

Vincent Edward Bassi
8 lbs. 3 oz.
20 inches

Vinny and his first birth day cake. We had a birthday party that night with our family and a couple of our best friends.




Here I am with Vinny still inside of me. This was taken on Thursday morning about 20 minutes before we arrived at the hospital for the induction.
Last belly shot.



We arrived at the hospital with homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for our doctor and nurses that morning. Earlier that week the doctor said that I was dialated to a 2 but hadn't made any progess past that. I was really nervous about being induced seeing that I wanted to do it naturally like I had with Susie. The laboring experience I had with Susie was completely different than Vinny because of the fact that when I showed up to the hospital with Susie I was dialated to a 9 and within 1 hour had Susie. Vinny on the other hand had not decided to come and was growing bigger and bigger every day so after 5 days past the due date we MADE him come. Once they started the pitocin (the medicine they give you to start contractions) it took about 1 & 1/2 hour to go to a 3 and the doctor wanted to break my water. Yikes! I knew when they break the water the contractions get harder and stronger so I was struggling telling him to break my water at a 3 when I still had 7 more cm to go.
Needless to say we decided to break my water to help speed up the process. And when that didn't work they just kept increasing the amount of pitocin they were giving me. I could tell the whole time that the contractions went to a slight cramping feeling to the point where I would have to stop talking to Jim and his father, Rich (Jim's father was there in the room for the birth) as the contraction came and then went.
As the hours went by and the nurses kept asking me how bad the contractions were because they couldn't tell from how I was acting. When I labor I get very quiet and calm to help me concentrate on the task at hand. I think it took about 2 hours to go from a 3 to 5 but then I was stuck at a 5 for about 3 hours after that. The next picture is me dialated to a 5. Let me guarantee you that this smiling face was only inbetween contractions.

They hooked me up to an internal monitor to help they know if my contractions were strong enough because I wasn't sure what to tell them about how strong they felt to me. After the monitor was monitoring the intensity of the contraction they determined that I was a good level of pitocin and that it was just a waiting game now. During this time was when I seriously concidering getting an epidural because I had been at a 5 for so long and the contractions were getting really painful and I was getting nervous about how long 5 cm to 10 cm would take. The time was now 4:30 pm and the induction had started at 10:00 am that morning. It then took about 1/2 hour to go from 5 cm to 7 cm. When the doctor told me I was at a 7 he suggested that I go to the bathroom just to empty my bladder and in the time it took me to get out of the bed, go to the bathroom, and get back in bed I was ready and wanting to push. It literally took less than 10 minutes to get fully dialated to a 10 and in less than 10 minutes of me pushing our little Vincent Edward came into this world.


Jim with Vince

Our little guy!!!

Proud father

Vinny wanting a piece of his cake


That night we were able to do a proper Bassi birthday celebration. We love you Baby Vinny and are so happy and blessed to have you in our family.

11 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

He is so cute! I can't wait to see him in person. I can't believe you only had to push for 10 minutes, you lucky dog!

Lindsey Simon said...

Congrats on your new little one! I cant wait for our new little one to COME OUT!!Less than 8 weeks to go (not counting or anything). Congrats again!

Christina Bassi said...

Pictures! Yippee! Vinny is so adorable and so big! We are so excited that we get to see you guys this weekend! You amaze me; no epidural with pitocin. I thought that was impossible.

Bennion Family said...

Congratulations, he is adorable!

Alys said...

Thanks for posting pictures. I have wanted to see some of the little guy. He is cute. Hope y'all are doing well.

Amanda said...

Lex and Jim,
Vinny is very cute! We are so happy for you. Thank you for putting up these great pictures and video.
Love,
Mandy, Tom and Lucy

Jenny said...

congratulations you guys!! i'm very impressed with your labor - you go girl! :) enjoy your 2 beautiful kids!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I totally love the idea of bring cookies for the staff and a birthday cake for the baby. Since I'll have scheduled births from now on, I should do that! How fun. Great pics.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

PS, Dean woke up the other day and said, "Go friend's. Ring her doorbell. Susies's car." He LOVES going to your house.

Michelle Bready said...

You're such a trooper! You amaze me.

Tina said...

Wowzer!! No epidural and how many hours later? I couldn't do it and it was only two hours. You are wonderful. One month already huh? I can't believe how time flies. Congrats on cute little vinny. How is suzie coping these days?